-->

how to find what you want thrifting (and have fun in the process)

    I'm proud to say that thrifting is one of my favorite hobbies. I like to think that foraging for my clothes awakens some sort of hibernating hunter-gatherer instinct in me, because I'm never prouder of a clothing haul then one I thrifted. I'm lucky enough to have a walk in closet that is stuffed to the gills with the spoils of my thrifting habit.

   

     1. Give To Get

One of the most important parts of thrifting is that it is a community effort to have a robust and thriving thrift store. You can't go to the thrift only to get and not give back. I (try) to abide by a one in, one out rule for my closet. I'm not always successful, but it helps me keep a steady stream of donations to my local thrift stores while also helping keep everything on hangers.

    2. Declare Your Intentions

Personally, I think declaring your intentions before entering a thrift store helps clear things up with the thrift gods and adds to your thrifting karma, alongside putting fallen clothes back on hangers and putting the stuff you like but isn't your size where people can see. But on a practical note, going into a thrifting trip with a clear idea of what you want helps you to feel like you're getting what you want out of a trip. This is where going through your closet often comes in handy, so you can know exactly where the gaps are in your wardrobe. Now, it does no good to walk in to a thrift store wanting a specific baby tee with a graphic of Shrek on it, think more generalizations. When I go for a big thrifting trip I like to have three big wants, generally something like sweaters, baggy jeans, and fitted tees. Alongside clearing things up with the thrifting gods, it helps me to stay on track with what I'm there for.

    3. Put In The Work

Channel your inner hunter-gatherer for this one. Going thrifting is not like going to a retail store. In a retail store, every piece is going to be laid out with other clothes that make cohesive outfits, and the entire store fits an aesthetic. With thrifting, everything is jumbled together and it's up to you to see the potential. This is why I think thrifting is one of the best ways to develop a personal style. You have to be able to see the pieces for what they could be, not where they are, which is generally in a jumble with a bunch of other clothes. My thrift store of choice is the Goodwill bins, where you dig through clothes in these massive bins on wheels and pay by the pound and I think that sort of shopping is to thank for my sense of personal style, because in order to find clothes I had to be able to see the piece both for what it is and what it could go with. But, along with that you have to be able to dig around and sift through what doesn't work. 

    4. Embrace The Slump

Inevitably, in every thrifting trip there will be a slump where you feel like there is nothing in the entire store for you. Everything is the wrong side or the wrong cut or just plain ugly. Please, ignore this feeling. It will go away. In my experience, it's right after the slump you get your best finds. Going to the thrift doesn't have to be a downtrodden, serious experience. Make a game of it! Imagine some of the people who would wear the craziest, most outlandish pieces you find. If you're going with friends, put together a crazy outfit to show one another. I promise, the slump is not forever. 


    1 comment:

    1. as a fellow lover of thrifting, I am so jelly of your finds....thank you for the helpful advice I need it lol

      ReplyDelete